Friday, May 21, 2010

Reflection on Covey (1989)

So, the biggest thing I got from Covey (1989) is about self-management and how if you don't have that squared away... chances of succeeding in this TL role will be impossible! The main idea that hit home from me is "the ability to make decisions and choices and act in accordance with them" (p.148). I seem to come up with brilliant ideas yet they are always somehow put on the backburner as I go about my business in my usual fashion. PRIORITISING! I have gained a lot from Covey in this... where my office used to be sprawled with half finished everythings.... BUT I have become more disciplined in prioritising. This has a lot to do with the powerful words of E.M. Gray..."The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don't like to do" (p.148) and "They don't like doing them either necessarily. But their disliking is subordinated to teh strength of their purpose".

No comments:

Post a Comment